Can't find unprocessed_raw (64 bit Linux)

Questions, support and discussions
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TelescopeGreg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Can't find unprocessed_raw (64 bit Linux)

Post by TelescopeGreg » 05 Mar 2020, 22:06

Anybody else have this problem?

I've been impressed with ASTAP doing plate solving, so thought I'd play with its stacking capability. Good news, it works pretty well on the Raspberry Pi 4 that I use at the telescope, stacking a set of 23 FITS images in just a few moments.

Thought I'd load it on my main processing computer, a beast running OpenSuSE Leap 15.0. It's an RPM-based system, and I installed the 64bit version just fine (0.9.329). Tried stacking a bunch of Raw images from my Nikon DSLR. When I click on Analyze, I get an error window saying the program couldn't find "unprocessed_raw", and to load libraw, for each of the (200!) images.

Libraw is loaded on the machine, and unprocessed_raw is part of the file set of libraw-tools, which is also loaded. unprocessed_raw is in /usr/bin. And, yes, /usr/bin is in the search path.

Any thoughts on how to make the program more visible to ASTAP?

han.k

Re: Can't find unprocessed_raw (64 bit Linux)

Post by han.k » 05 Mar 2020, 23:07

I looked in the code and it looking for:

/usr/lib/libraw/unprocessed_raw

If you to a find/search for this file unprocessed_raw, where is it located on your system?

Han

han.k

Post by han.k » 05 Mar 2020, 23:24

I did an other check on my Lubuntu system. Yes it is in the folder/directory as indicated. I installed it on 2019-11-11 with a sudo command. So the question where is this file located on your system?

Han

TelescopeGreg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by TelescopeGreg » 06 Mar 2020, 00:25

unprocessed_raw is in /usr/bin. OpenSuSE seems to have a long standing history of putting things in unexpected places, but that's where it went. It's is an 'rpm' based system, if that matters.

As a test, I created the directory libraw in /usr/lib, and created a symbolic link from there back to /usr/bin/unprocessed_raw, and that seems to have fixed (worked around) the problem. Thanks!

So, what other helper apps might be elsewhere than expected, that I should check for?

han.k

Post by han.k » 06 Mar 2020, 11:23

Good, no other external programs are used unless you want to compress FITS files using cfitsio pack/unpack.

I will add /usr/bin path to the code (next version) in case unprocessed_raw is not found.

Thanks for the feedback.

Han

TelescopeGreg

Post by TelescopeGreg » 06 Mar 2020, 18:38

Excellent!

I didn't have cfitsio installed, but did so as a check. The result was installing libcfitsio.so.6 in /usr/lib64

Haven't tried using it, but that's where it landed.

Greg

han.k

Post by han.k » 06 Mar 2020, 22:13

Hi Greg,

The program expects fpack and funpack at /usr/bin

Command to install it at Ubuntu flavors is: sudo apt-get install libcfitsio-bin

It is very rarely used. I have seen it used once by Professionals to compact FITS files but that's less relevant with the huge storage space available nowadays.

Han

TelescopeGreg

Post by TelescopeGreg » 07 Mar 2020, 04:27

Both fpack and funpack are in /usr/bin, so we're good.

OpenSuSE favors a GUI utility "yast2" that manages all the dependencies and upgrades and such. Very nice. I think there are equivalents on the Debian-based distros. Of course, you are free to use a flurry of rpm commands if you really want to.

Thanks!