Sky.Simulator issues

Questions, support and discussions.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jst200
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sky.Simulator issues

Post by jst200 » 02 Mar 2020, 12:03

Hi Han,

I'm giving the Sky Simulator a go, but I am having problems.

I have connected:
  • the mount to the EQMOD.Simulator and that seems to connect OK
  • the focuser to the ASCOM.Simulator.Focuser which also seems to connect OK
and have set the following parameters:
  • Focus Pos = 25000
  • Height (arcmin) = 70.3
  • Width (pixels) = 5440
  • Height (pixels) = 3648
  • Focus.simulator = 24995 (in focus)
The problems I am having are:
  • If I disconnect the focuser, the ascom.simulator.focuser window stays active
  • if i re-connect the focuser, then I get a 2nd ascom.simulator.focuser window.
  • repeating the above 2 commands just creates a new ascom.sim.focus window ad infinitum. The only way to close the windows i to shutdown Sky Simulator
  • The app is very unresponsive. This seems to be worst when a new image is being generated. It is so unresponsive that I can't control the ascom.sim.focuser or change between the control and the image tab
  • if I use the artificial sky db, I just get a black image - no stars
  • using either of the download sources does generate an image, but the gui becomes even more unresponsive because of the download time
  • hitting escape doesn't seem to stop the simulation
  • using a download source, if I connect APT to sky.simulator, set exposure to bulb & 2s (I can't set gain) I get get a blank white image (even though the sky.sim > image tab shows an (overexposed) image
I'm sure 90% of the problem is me. But I'm not sure what I can do.

Cheers, Jim

jst200
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sky.Simulator issues

Post by jst200 » 02 Mar 2020, 12:18

Hi Han,

I've partly resolved the APT connect issue. I hadn't configured the Sky.Sim ASCOM settings.

APT now gets an image from Sky.sim - sometimes. It seems a bit random.

Although I have set that the sky.sim can support Gain, APT thinks it can't.

Cheers, Jim

jst200

Post by jst200 » 02 Mar 2020, 17:28

Hi Han,

Well with a bit more testing I have discovered I am partly right. It is me(ish) :oops:
  • If I disconnect the focuser, the ascom.simulator.focuser window stays active
  • if i re-connect the focuser, then I get a 2nd ascom.simulator.focuser window.
  • repeating the above 2 commands just creates a new ascom.sim.focus window ad infinitum. The only way to close the windows i to shutdown Sky Simulator

This still happens.
  • The app is very unresponsive. This seems to be worst when a new image is being generated. It is so unresponsive that I can't control the ascom.sim.focuser or change between the control and the image tab
    >>>With setting the sky.sim.ascom settings properly the app seems a little more responsive. But it is still an issue.
  • if I use the artificial sky db, I just get a black image - no stars
    >>>It seems the artificial sky doesn't like only producing a black image when at NCP?
  • using either of the download sources does generate an image, but the gui becomes even more unresponsive because of the download time
    >>>Same as the unresponsive note above. Better, but not great.
  • hitting escape doesn't seem to stop the simulation
    >>>This still happens
  • using a download source, if I connect APT to sky.simulator, set exposure to bulb & 2s (I can't set gain) I get get a blank white image (even though the sky.sim > image tab shows an (overexposed) image
    >>>Even though I've set that Gain is a settable option, APT says it's not
    >>>The blank white image was my fault. I think it might have been over stretched.
Cheers, Jim

jst200

Post by jst200 » 03 Mar 2020, 18:33

Switched conversation to APT Forum: https://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 078#p21078

Cheers, Jim

han.k

Post by han.k » 03 Mar 2020, 20:23

No problem Jim,

We will continue at the APT forum.

Set the image dimensions much lower. Maybe something like 1000x1500 pixels. That doesn't influence the simulation.
It can be a little sluggish. Set exposure time to 5 seconds or longer.

Han