ASTAP OS X could not solve

Questions, support and discussions
Fivel

ASTAP OS X could not solve

Post by Fivel » 21 Oct 2019, 18:10

Hello.

I have tried with the latest, and the previous versions of ASTAP.

Wether I use a tiff image or a fits image, the app could not get a solve. I tried the online and off line (local) methods and they both could not solve.

I also tried to stack using the star align method, and it did not work.

Ironically, when I pressed the Tetrahedron test button, it showed numerous formations, but the running log displayed that it could not form them, so the stacking failed.

When I downloaded and installed the Mac version, it showed version 0.1, but that is not the latest version.

I am running OSX El Capitan (10.11) on an iMac with 32GB Ram and a1TB SSD.

Han suggested I upload the image. Also, I cannot "double click" on the RA field to enter an object (NGC7635) by name. Nothing happens.
I cannot insert the file as the error shows it is to large. What is the maximum size allowed?

han.k

Re: ASTAP OS X could not solve

Post by han.k » 21 Oct 2019, 19:44

Fivel wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 18:10
Hello.

I have tried with the latest, and the previous versions of ASTAP.

Wether I use a tiff image or a fits image, the app could not get a solve. I tried the online and off line (local) methods and they both could not solve.

I also tried to stack using the star align method, and it did not work.

Ironically, when I pressed the Tetrahedron test button, it showed numerous formations, but the running log displayed that it could not form them, so the stacking failed.

When I downloaded and installed the Mac version, it showed version 0.1, but that is not the latest version.

I am running OSX El Capitan (10.11) on an iMac with 32GB Ram and a1TB SSD.

Han suggested I upload the image. Also, I cannot "double click" on the RA field to enter an object (NGC7635) by name. Nothing happens.
I cannot insert the file as the error shows it is to large. What is the maximum size allowed?
Hello Fivel,

Adding image in this forum will fill my limited space fast. Upload the image to nova.astrometry.net and give me the link or use something like https://uploadfiles.io to upload some file files there and give me also the link.

You could enter at ra 22 and for dec 61. That is sufficient for NGC7635. I will investigate why double click doesn't work for you. I have test in in the Mac. Most of the time I focus on Window and Linux version. The Mac version is just compiled.

I'm waiting for one or more images from you to see what goes wrong.

Clear skies, Han

Fivel

Post by Fivel » 21 Oct 2019, 20:05

Thanks again Han.
Here is a link to the solved image at nova.astrometry.net
http://nova.astrometry.net/status/2993006
I hope this helps.

Fivel

Fivel

Post by Fivel » 24 Oct 2019, 17:46

Hello Han. Did you get a chance to use the link and look at the Astrometry solve?

Fivel

han.k

Post by han.k » 30 Oct 2019, 11:39

I missed your message. Yes now I have looked to the image. The image has two problems. The resolution is too low and the stars are elongated.

- ASTAP likes minimum resolution of around 1.5 mp so something like 1500x1000 pixels. Your image is 965x635, so close to 0.6 MP

- Stars are too much elongated. Something like ratio 3x1. They are recognised as galaxies. ASTAP will ignore any bright object which is more then 30% elongated/oval. You can see the if you activate the CCD inspector or use test button "Show tetrahedrons".

The exposure duration is more then enough. You can easily expose less, 5 or 10 seconds is sufficient.

Han

Fivel

Post by Fivel » 30 Oct 2019, 16:32

Thank you Han. I will try again with an unprocessed sub.
It is interesting though that Atronomy.net had no problem solving the same image.
I even tried with a couple of other images and Astrometry solved them as well.
As I mentioned in the first post, pressing the Show Tetrahedrons button did display many of them.
I will try some other images today.

Fivel

han.k

Post by han.k » 30 Oct 2019, 20:27

Astrometry.net is more robuster for these images. But ASTAP is very fast if you give it proper images. An exposure of a few seconds will do. Here two examples of 10 seconds exposure. Just download the new_image.fits and test it on ASTAP:

http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/ ... #annotated
http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/3161826#original

Han

Fivel

Post by Fivel » 07 Nov 2019, 17:11

Hello Han.
I downloaded and tried the New-Image.fits in ASTAP, but it did not solve.
Here is some info that may help you see where the problem is.
1. This is a screen capture of the main page as shown with that image after the solve attempt.
2. I tried to attach a copy of the ASTAP main screen log of the solve attempt, but I could not add either an .rtf or .pdf version.
This forum does not seem to allow those file formats.
Is it possible that some items were not included when I installed ASTAP?

Fivel
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 8.53.12 AM.png
Screen Capture of ASTAP
Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 8.53.12 AM.png (309.88 KiB) Viewed 475 times

han.k

Post by han.k » 07 Nov 2019, 18:04

Hllo Fivel,

I assume one of you settings in the Alignment tab is wrong. Easiest solution is go to the viewer, select

FILE
SETTINGS
RETURN TO DEFAULT SETTINGS AND EXIT.

Then restart, load the new_image.fits and it should solve immediately. Can your try that?

The webpage configuration is default. I didn't do too much on it. You should be able to attach zipped files

Han

Fivel

Post by Fivel » 08 Nov 2019, 00:21

Back again Han.
First, which screen is "the viewer" (where the selected image shows?)? I tried to find that menu sequence in your last reply, but there are no such options under the "File" menu. Maybe in the MAC version the menus may be different from the other OSs.
The tetrahedrons look good, but still no solution.

Fivel