No Output file found

Questions, support and discussions
Milky Whey

No Output file found

Post by Milky Whey » 15 Oct 2019, 04:56

I am very new at ASTAP for plate solving. I have selected it and downloaded it for use in NINA. I seem to get some solve and more not solved. If I use the image that is downloaded from the sequence in the image tab in the image section and select the plate solve icon to solve that image, it seems to work well. however, if I use the plate solving section of the image tab and select sync, reslew to target etc, then I get the following error on most times:
Plate Solve Failed.
No Output File Found.

I have things set up per the directions of NINA and ASTAP as far as I can tell. I have downloaded the G17 and Hyerleda databases.

I hope this is something stupid that I am doing.... any help is appreciated.

han.k

Re: No Output file found

Post by han.k » 15 Oct 2019, 09:03

One of the first things to check is the Nina settings for telescope focal length and pixel size. ASTAP has to know roughly the scale of the image.

More later.

Han

han.k

Post by han.k » 15 Oct 2019, 10:21

If Nina produces FITS, you could open it in ASTAP and find the following textual information in the file header:

XPIXSZ = 7.8 / [um] Pixel X axis size
YPIXSZ = 7.8 / [um] Pixel Y axis size
INSTRUME= 'Sky Simulator (ASC' / Imaging instrument name
CCD-TEMP= 10 / [degC] CCD temperature
TELESCOP= 'Generic Telescope' / Name of telescope
FOCALLEN= 800 / [mm] Focal length
FOCRATIO= 7 / Focal ratio
SWCREATE= 'N.I.N.A. 1.9.0.900' / Software that created this file

So the pixel size in this setup is 7.8 micrometer and focal length is 800 mm.

From this data the image height in degrees is calculated. You you can find this file in the statusbar of ASTAP viewer:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (13.61 KiB) Viewed 700 times
This is in this case 0.84 degrees. This should roughly equal to the reality. To check this, you could upload the same image to nova.astrometry.net. If the image is solved it will tell in the report the image dimensions in degrees. If the image height is different then the 0.84 degrees you initial settings pixel size and telescope focal length are wrong.

If this doesn't work, upload the image somewhere and give me the link and I will further investigate.

The output file not find, I can't explain........ For that problem you have to ask the question at the NINA Discord.

Han

Milky Whey

Post by Milky Whey » 17 Oct 2019, 04:32

Thanks Han. I will open in ASTAP and check the numbers when I can get to the Observatory next. It is not remote capable. I am pretty sure the numbers are accurate or very close that I have in NINA. The strange thing is that it usually solves when I take an image manually, but when I use the plate solve section where you can synchronized and center, it almost always do not. That’s where it gives me that message from my first post. Then it opens ASTAP and the image is just black with no stars readily identifiable. This differs from what I see when I manually load a fits into ASTAP directly. I see an image of the with stars an nebulosity, granted that was a 900 sec fits. I only solve with Luminance. I have tried exposures from 1-20 seconds and get the same black image when the solve fails and the ASTAP program opens and displays the image that was just taken. I will try what you said and also upload an image of a fits and hopefully a failed image as well. I will post a link for you. Also, need to wait for clear sky...lol

Thanks again.