Sky Simulator for ASCOM

Questions, support and discussions.
DanK
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sky Simulator for ASCOM

Post by DanK » 12 Jan 2020, 23:32

I cannot download images when I do a mock exposure or plate solve. It always shows M42

han.k

Re: Sky Simulator for ASCOM

Post by han.k » 13 Jan 2020, 12:45

Go to your imaging program (CCDCiel, APT, SGP...) to the device setting of the camera (simulator) and do the following:

Select sky simulator as camera.
Go to setting and select the same file as sky simulator (default documents\image.jpg). See red marked below:
sky_simulator2.png
sky_simulator2.png (26.73 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
Set also the image dimensions the same.

Clear skies, Han

Dan Kahraman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Dan Kahraman » 13 Jan 2020, 22:23

Dear Han:

Your program was very useful to me. It taught me a great deal about platesolving in Sharpcap, Astrotortilla, Nebulosity and showed instant connectivity and communication upon connection in all these programs as well as Cartes du Ciel.

The weather here is very cloudy and this is giving me an opportunity to test and learn things for the next time I am out under the stars.

Dan Kahraman.

han.k

Post by han.k » 31 Jan 2020, 12:17

I issued a new version with a upgraded star database from magnitude 13 to 14. So you will see more stars.

Han

lewis

Post by lewis » 21 Feb 2020, 17:18

Hello Han
Thanks for your fine programm "sky simulator".
I have learned about it in the voyager forum:
https://forum.starkeeper.it/t/screencas ... rench/1248
and the videos on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOsv4QZy4Vk

The sky simulator allows to play with all processes in voyager and especially to run the excellent drag scripts in voyager.
I think the videos show this very fine and are absolutely the golden way to learn "voyager"!

Ok, I need some times to configure out the image sizes (width, heights and res) for my simulator equipment, but a deeper information about the background of the focuser lacks.
To understand this part a little better it would be appreciated if yo can give some infors about this.
Perhaps you made a video in your YT collection.

Many thanks for your programm and your effort to help "running the gear when its raining outside"

Ed

han.k

Post by han.k » 21 Feb 2020, 19:55

Hello Ed,

Thanks for the links. I was not aware of them. Also good exercise to refresh my French a little. :)

The image size, just set them the same in the simulator and Voyager. Don't make them too large since it will slowdown the simulation.

Han

lewis

Post by lewis » 21 Feb 2020, 20:22

Hello Han
Sky simulator has a great potential I think because it is the latest part of the chain of simulators.
It reduces the trial and error in the real world and brings more productive imaging time 👍
Give him a kick in Cloudy nights
Ed

han.k

Post by han.k » 21 Feb 2020, 20:23

I have moved the Sky Simulator topic now to a new forum. It is possible that the links are different.

Han

hoxca

Post by hoxca » 21 Feb 2020, 20:58

Thank you for passing by on the voyager channel han ;)

The sky simulator is a very great tool for simulation.
Many thank for your job. You have all the credit of this demonstration.
I was lazy and unconfortable to do it in english, but i think that this was self explanory.

The only thing i did not manage to do was a robofocus (eg single star focus) as this require acquisition subframe centred on the focus star.
It would be a great addition to the simulator to permit a focus star.

Would you think that achieviable via the ascom cam simulator ?

han.k

Post by han.k » 21 Feb 2020, 21:37

Hello Hoxa,

I have modified the standard ASCOM "Camera V2 simulator" such that it doesn't lock the image.jpg file and reads it every time again. That wasn't easy since C# is not my favorite programming language. Normally I program in Object Pascal.

Does the ASCOM cam simulator allows a sub section? I don't recognise it as a standard simulator as packed in ASCOM.

For the moment, I want to keep it as it is. It took already some significant effort. If you know somebody who is good in changing/modyfying an ASCOM driver, please ask him.

Clear skies, Han