HNS_FV -> ASTAP

Questions, support and discussions
RuediB

HNS_FV -> ASTAP

Post by RuediB » 23 Feb 2018, 08:02

Hi Hank,
does this special funktion still work with ASTAP, you show in your Video at 2:34? If yes, how do i have to set it up? If no, where can i download HNS_FV?

thanks

Ruedi

han.k

Re: HNS_FV -> ASTAP

Post by han.k » 23 Feb 2018, 16:27

Hello Ruedi,

Yes that should still work. Note that haven't tested it for some time and added several other features. HNS_FV has a new name "ASTAP". So just rename astap.exe to platesolve2.exe and it should work.

Download:
http://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm

If it doesn't work, please tell me.

Han

RuediB

Post by RuediB » 04 Mar 2018, 14:10

Hi Han,

Thanks for your reply, i did some tests now.
It works perfect if i start maually ASTAP, open the Pic and hit solve. Platesolve2 solve in 1sec and HNSky shows the .fit in correct orientation.

If i try it automaticly out of APT's Pointcraft it does not even open ASTAP.
it stucks like this at 0s:
APT-timeout.PNG
APT-timeout.PNG (20.22 KiB) Viewed 865 times
until the timeout after 180sec

if i try it out of APT with platesolve2 direct, it works to.

APT 3.52
Platesolve2.28
ASTAP beta 0.9.5a
HNSky 4.0.0 RC8g

Ruedi

han.k

Post by han.k » 04 Mar 2018, 21:47

Hello Ruedi,

I fixed it in version 0.9.6.

Rename or copy astap.exe to platesolve2.exe. Then select in APT, pointcraft, settings the directory where this surrogate platesolve2.exe (=astap.exe) is located.

Note that APT saves the pointcraft image to solve to:
.... TemporaryStorage\ImageToSolve.jpg

If your quick you can make a copy of the file. After use it is deleted by APT.

It is not of the best quality. Astap will convert this jpg file to ImageToSolve.fit and execute Platesolve2. Platesolve2 will produce an .apm file containing the solution and ASTAP will add it to the FITS file header.

HNSKY can then display this image if the HNSKY FITS directory is set to this location. In the HNSKY OBJECT menu you can play with fits brightness & contrast settings. If you zoom in too much with HNSKY it can become slow.

You could also use Astap.exe to study the image. Position of the mouse is indicated in the statusbar.

I JUST DISCOVERED THAT HNSKY HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE FITS FILE. WILL FIX IT TOMORROW.

Han

RuediB

Post by RuediB » 04 Mar 2018, 23:45

hi Han,

i'll test it as soon as the V0.9.7 is ready to download.

Thanks Ruedi
Last edited by RuediB on 04 Mar 2018, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

han.k

Post by han.k » 04 Mar 2018, 23:50

Solved with ASTAP version 0.9.7. I didn't write the solved FITS files in a multi of 2880 bytes (record). HNSKY has becomes more critical of the FITS format but now it works with ASTAP. 0.9.7. So download this version.

Please tell me if it doesnt work'.

Clear skies,
Han

han.k

Post by han.k » 05 Mar 2018, 09:31

Just two more things.

- To redraw the new FITS file produced just hit the space bar in HNSKY.
- Besides rotating the map to the place imaged, you can also open the fits file in HNSKY FILE menu to go to the position.
- Since APT produces JPG files with limited amount of grey/color, it is better to set contrast/brightness already corrects in APT.

It would be better if Ivo could modify APT to write FITS directly and add the solution in the header, but this method works.

HNSKY will be a little slow with FITS files of large resolution since it calculates the warped position of each pixel using a lot of math. It can be limited by zooming out since it will skip pixels.

Clear skies, Han

RuediB

Post by RuediB » 08 Mar 2018, 05:50

Thank you Han,

now it works how it should. The only thing you could improve is the speed, of course my Laptop is not the newest, but it takes 104sec overall to solve the Image. Only 4sec are for Platesolve2. I think having a .fit directly out of APT would speedup the things a lot.

But anyway thank you for your work and your always quick reply

han.k

Post by han.k » 08 Mar 2018, 10:00

Place a feature request for the FITS format and use of the FITS header keywords on the ideas box.

JPEG is not ideal. Lossless formats like PNG or TIFF would preserve the image better. To allow APT to write FITS files will probably will take some programming on pixel level. You can't use standard compiler libraries as for JPEG or PNG.

The ASTAP program reads the jpeg file and convert it to a FITS file, calls PlateSolve2 with the new FITS file and updates the FITS header. I think I could gain some speed by first calling PlateSolve2 with jpeg file and then create a FITS files from the jpeg and add the solution to the header. In any case APT could do it more efficient.

RuediB

Post by RuediB » 16 Mar 2018, 16:41

Hi Han,

Here is Ivo's Answer. I think it would go faster if ASTAP calls Platesolve2 with the .jpg and create the .fit while Platesolve2 is working, as you mentioned before.