Bug, feature request and performance

Questions, support and discussions
TheAmateur

Bug, feature request and performance

Post by TheAmateur » 22 Nov 2019, 21:39

Hi, thank you for a great tool. Trying it out with some narrowband images, I came across the following challenges:

1. Bug. In the stack method tab, I cannot enter "Ha" into the filter box; only "ha" works. The tool sometimes crashes when entering capital letters.

2. Bug/feature request. Stacking does not group flat darks by exposure time even if "classify by dark exposure time" is checked.
As different narrowband filters may need different exposure times, this leads to sub-optimal results.
Alternatively, an option to group dark flats by filter would also help.

3. Performance. Although tasks can run for minutes, I observe <20% CPU utilization and <5% SSD utilization on my laptop. It looks like all operations are performed in a single thread, not taking advantage of modern multicore architectures. How about parallelizing operations on files?

Best regards,
TheAmateur

han.k

Re: Bug, feature request and performance

Post by han.k » 22 Nov 2019, 22:33

Hello, see answers below.

Han
TheAmateur wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 21:39
Hi, thank you for a great tool. Trying it out with some narrowband images, I came across the following challenges:

1. Bug. In the stack method tab, I cannot enter "Ha" into the filter box; only "ha" works. The tool sometimes crashes when entering capital letters.

I will look into that.

2. Bug/feature request. Stacking does not group flat darks by exposure time even if "classify by dark exposure time" is checked.
As different narrowband filters may need different exposure times, this leads to sub-optimal results.
Alternatively, an option to group dark flats by filter would also help.

You can classify on flat filter. Classify on different exposure would make no sense. The flat exposure is short and has no relation with lights.

3. Performance. Although tasks can run for minutes, I observe <20% CPU utilization and <5% SSD utilization on my laptop. It looks like all operations are performed in a single thread, not taking advantage of modern multicore architectures. How about parallelizing operations on files?

Yes it is a single core application. Parallelizing will not be easy and it is questionable is if would achieve much. Most time is lost in shifting data through memory and disk. If you classify on object, you can start several image series in one step and do something else.

han.k

Re: Bug, feature request and performance

Post by han.k » 04 Dec 2019, 20:06

I think I fixed the first error. There was an menu option shift+H. This is now replaced by ctr+alt+H

Clear skies, Han

Last bumped by Anonymous on 04 Dec 2019, 20:06.